Other Books in Series
This is book number 8 in the Ali Reynolds Series series.
- #2: Web of Evil: A Novel of Suspense (Ali Reynolds Series #2) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #3: Hand of Evil (Ali Reynolds Series #3) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #4: Cruel Intent (Ali Reynolds Series #4) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #5: Trial by Fire: A Novel of Suspense (Ali Reynolds Series #5) (Mass Market): $7.99
- #6: Fatal Error: An Ali Reynolds Mystery (Ali Reynolds Series #6) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #7: Left for Dead: A Novel (Ali Reynolds Series #7) (Hardcover): Email or call for price
- #9: Moving Target: A Novel (Ali Reynolds Series #9) (Hardcover): Email or call for price
- #10: Cold Betrayal: An Ali Reynolds Novel (Ali Reynolds Series #10) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #11: Clawback: An Ali Reynolds Novel (Ali Reynolds Series #11) (Hardcover): $28.59
- #12: Man Overboard: An Ali Reynolds Novel (Ali Reynolds Series #12) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #13: Duel to the Death (Ali Reynolds Series #13) (Hardcover): $26.99
- #14: The A List (Ali Reynolds Series #14) (Hardcover): $27.99
- #15: Credible Threat (Ali Reynolds Series #15) (Hardcover): $27.99
Deadly Stakes by JA Jance is the eighth installment in the Ali Reynolds series and it is an engrossing mystery. Ali has been asked to help unofficially investigate a ghastly murder and help clear the name of an innocent woman. While working on this case, Ali finds herself intrigued by another case. A teen boy has discovered a dying woman in the desert while he is retrieving a hidden box buried by his absent father. Her gut is telling her that the two cases are connected somehow, she just has to keep digging and find the murderer before he strikes again.
Jance did such an amazing job of juxtaposing multiple points of views in her mystery You are really able to relate to all of the characters, not just Ali, and you get a sense of their outlook on the murders. This added depth to side characters who might not be given as much attention by another author and created a more compelling read. Jance always does a great job of continuing the growth of Ali. You really feel like Ali is a flesh and blood person who has had to battle personal relationships, job changes, and is learning where she fits in. I also love that she keeps bring back characters from past books and creating a whole community of people that I want to read about. Needless to say, this is another great read by Jance.— Tricia
A thrilling mystery from New York Times bestselling author J.A. Jance starring Ali Reynolds, who finds herself working against the police to clear two innocent names…with deadly stakes.
In Deadly Stakes, police academy-trained former reporter Ali Reynolds is contacted to investigate the grisly murder of a gold-digging divorcee on behalf of a woman accused of the crime. Lynn Martinson is dating the dead woman’s ex-husband, and she and her boyfriend Chip Ralston have been charged.
Ali is simultaneously drawn to the case of A.J. Sanders, a frightened teen with secrets of his own. He’s the first to find the body in the Camp Verde desert when he goes to retrieve a mysterious buried box hidden by his absent father—a box that turns out to be filled with hundreds of thousands of dollars in poker chips.
When the body of an ex-con is discovered near the first crime scene, Ali struggles to determine if A.J. and Lynn’s cases are related. Though her friends in the police department grow increasingly irritated by her involvement with the cases, Ali must stop a deadly killer from claiming another victim…before she herself is lost in this game of deadly stakes.
About the Author
J.A. Jance is the New York Times bestselling author of the Ali Reynolds series, the J.P. Beaumont series, and the Joanna Brady series, as well as five interrelated Southwestern thrillers featuring the Walker family. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona. Visit her online at JAJance.com.
"Jance delivers a devilish page-turner."
"Heart-stopping...Jance deftly brings the desert, people, and towns of southeastern Arizona to life."
— Publishers Weekly
"An intriguing plot, colorful characters."
— San Diego Union-Tribune
"Characters so real you want to reach out and hug--or strangle--them. Her dialogue always rings true."
— Cleveland Plain-Dealer
"J.A. Jance is addictive because of moments that just rise up and make things so real you'll swear you are a part of the book...Jance will charm you into reading everything by her you can find."
— Statesman Journal (Salem, Oregon)
“Engaging. . . Ali charms the locals into giving valuable if inadvertent clues.”
— Publishers Weekly
"Entertaining on all counts."
“Loyal fans and newcomers alike will be glad to join feisty Ali in her latest adventure.”
— Kirkus Reviews
“A truly thrilling case with red herrings, characters coming out of the woodwork, back stories that will make you gasp, and a conclusion that you will not see coming!”
— Suspense Magazine