Other Books in Series
This is book number 1 in the A Magical Bakery Mystery series.
- #2: Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti: A Magical Bakery Mystery (Mass Market): $8.79
- #3: Charms and Chocolate Chips: A Magical Bakery Mystery (Mass Market): $8.79
- #4: Some Enchanted Eclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery #4) (Mass Market): $7.99
- #5: Magic and Macaroons (A Magical Bakery Mystery #5) (Mass Market): $7.99
- #6: Spells and Scones (A Magical Bakery Mystery #6) (Mass Market): $8.79
- #7: Potions and Pastries (A Magical Bakery Mystery #7) (Mass Market): $8.79
- #8: Cookies and Clairvoyance (A Magical Bakery Mystery #8) (Mass Market): $7.99
- #9: Witches and Wedding Cake (A Magical Bakery Mystery #9) (Mass Market): $7.99
Brownies and Broomsticks by Bailey Cates is the first book in the Magical Bakery Mystery series and it is a delightful beginning. Katie’s life has taken an unexpected turn, but hopefully it’s for the better. She has decided to partner up with her aunt and uncle and open a bakery in Savannah, Georgia. Now the bakery is coming along beautifully and she is sure it will be a success between her baking and her aunt’s helpful ingredient suggestions, although she does find it odd that her aunt keeps mumbling over the herbs. Days before the grand opening, the most cantankerous lady in Savannah is murdered right in front of the store. The worst part is that all eyes are looking at her uncle since he was the last person to speak to the victim. Before long, Katie finds herself frantically trying to find who the true murderer is all the while discovering more about her family’s magical heritage.
This is sure to be a fun series filled with magic, pastries, and the occasional murder. The characters are charming and you can feel the southern atmosphere. I also love that the witches have animal familiars. For some reason I always feel bad for a witch who doesn’t have a trusted critter companion. I am excited to get to know all of the other witches and see how Katie progresses with her new gift. Needless to say, I will be getting book two quite soon.— Jody
EASY BAKE COVEN
Katie Lightfoot's tired of loafing around as the assistant manager of an Ohio bakery. So when her aunt Lucy and uncle Ben open a bakery in Savannah's quaint downtown district and ask Katie to join them, she enthusiastically agrees.
While working at the Honeybee Bakery—named after Lucy's cat—Katie notices that her aunt is adding mysterious herbs to her recipes. Turns out these herbal enhancements aren't just tasty—Aunt Lucy is a witch and her recipes are actually spells!
When a curmudgeonly customer is murdered outside the Honeybee Bakery, Uncle Ben becomes the prime suspect. With the help of handsome journalist Steve Dawes, charming firefighter Declan McCarthy, and a few spells, Katie and Aunt Lucy stir up some toil and trouble to clear Ben's name and find the real killer..
About the Author
Bailey Cates believes magic is all around us if we only look for it. She is the New York Times bestselling author of the Magical Bakery mysteries. She is also the author of the Enchanted Garden mysteries, writing as Bailey Cattrell.