Other Books in Series
This is book number 18 in the Jack Swyteck Novel series.
- #1: The Pardon: The First Jack Swyteck Novel (Mass Market): $9.99
- #2: Beyond Suspicion (Jack Swyteck Novel #2) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #3: Last to Die (Jack Swyteck Novel #3) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #4: Hear No Evil (Jack Swyteck Novel #4) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #5: Got the Look (Jack Swyteck Novel #5) (Large Print / Paperback): $32.39
- #6: When Darkness Falls (Jack Swyteck Novel #6) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #7: Last Call: A Novel of Suspense (Jack Swyteck Novel #7) (Large Print / Paperback): $32.39
- #8: Born to Run (Jack Swyteck Novel #8) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #9: Afraid of the Dark: A Novel of Suspense (Jack Swyteck Novel #9) (Large Print / Paperback): $27.99
- #10: Blood Money (Jack Swyteck Novel #10) (Large Print / Paperback): $28.99
- #11: Black Horizon (Jack Swyteck Novel) (Hardcover): $25.99
- #12: Gone Again: A Jack Swyteck Novel (Hardcover): $26.99
- #13: Most Dangerous Place: A Jack Swyteck Novel (Hardcover): $26.99
- #14: A Death in Live Oak: A Jack Swyteck Novel (Hardcover): $27.99
- #15: The Girl in the Glass Box: A Jack Swyteck Novel (Hardcover): $27.99
- #16: The Big Lie: A Jack Swyteck Novel (Hardcover): $27.99
- #17: Twenty: A Jack Swyteck Novel (Hardcover): $27.99
A contentious intellectual piracy case leads to an unsolved murder, and Jack Swyteck’s client—a pop music icon—is the accused killer.
Piracy costs the movie and music industry billions. No one has been able to stop it. But that won’t stop Miami criminal defense lawyer Jack Swyteck. His latest client, Imani Nichols, is a Grammy-winning popstar whose career has skyrocketed. Despite her success, she’s the most underpaid superstar on the planet because of an onerous record contract she signed as a teenager with her now ex-husband Shaky Nichols, who has made himself rich off her royalties.
Preferring to see thieves profit from her music than let her ex-husband pocket one more dime, Imani takes to social media and tells her millions of fans to “go pirate” and download her music illegally. Her hardball tactic leads to scorched-earth litigation, and now she needs Jack’s help.
The case takes a deadly turn when salacious allegations of infidelity send Imani and Shaky down a path of mutual assured destruction, each implicating the other in the unsolved murder of Imani’s extra-marital lover twelve years ago. Tyler McCormick died of asphyxiation, and his body was found in Biscayne Bay, chained to a piling with the words "goodbye girl" impressed on his chest. Despite their fierce denials, Imani and Shakey are both indicted for murder, leading to a sensational trial that exposes shocking secrets about their failed marriage, their cut-throat business partnership, and Imani’s astonishing success.
Yet as Jack discovers, uncovering the truth about the killing and the cryptic “goodbye girl” won’t just exonerate or convict his client, her ex, and their music empire. It may shape the future of the entire recording industry.
About the Author
James Grippando is a New York Times bestselling author with more than thirty books to his credit, including those in his acclaimed series featuring Miami criminal defense attorney Jack Swyteck, and the winner of the Harper Lee Prize for Legal Fiction. He is also a trial lawyer and teaches law and literature at the University of Miami School of Law. He lives and writes in South Florida.
“This is the eighteenth Swyteck novel since The Pardon (1994), and it’s just as good as the rest. Grippando keeps coming up with complex and timely cases, and this one is first-rate.” — Booklist
"A whirlpool of murder, betrayal, and modern-day piracy. . . . Enough eye-popping plot developments for a miniseries." — Kirkus Reviews